May 20, 2020

Writing a Bachelor Thesis - Weeks Three and Four

This note is part of a series, to learn more you can read the previous note in this series or jump to my bachelor thesis exposé.

The past two weeks have been a blur; a lot has happened, and yet I feel like I did not make any progress. On a personal level, my partner and I decided to move to Berlin ASAP. So we spontaneously drove 8 hours to Berlin to look at apartments. And would you believe it: We found one!

Hi Berlin!

Whenever I'm not writing about my Bachelor Thesis on this blog, you will find updates on our new home and what we're making of it. Stay tuned!

What did I learn?

Atomic Design, it seems, was never meant to be a tool for designing new things, it is a way to split existing designs into smaller elements to have re-useable code-blocks and generate a pattern library. When creating a design system, you can't use Atomic Design to come up with a visual language while building the system. My understanding of Atomic Design was fundamentally wrong, and I now have the opportunity to re-interpret Atomic Design to be a design tool!

What happened?

Concerning this Bachelor Thesis, I was able to conduct one more interview with another one running in written form as I write this blog post. I was also able to analyse the interviews I did previously and cluster the data into two personas. I'm hoping to end up with three or four personas. I also realised I dislike working with personas because they add unnecessary fluff to the data and make it harder to focus on user needs.


On this front, I am happy to announce some progress. I was able to define the general style and sketch all page templates. I then created a pre-wireframe digital design in Sketch, which I will now be able to evolve into a visually appealing portfolio and blog.


I was able to decide on the typeface I will be using for both the digital and the printed documentation of this thesis. I will be using "Mr Eves" sans, not the modern re-design, possibly accommodated by the original serif variant "Mrs Eves".

Visual Font Sample

I based my decision for Mr Eves on its character set, simplicity, availability of small-caps, petite-caps, an XL version, and the beautifully styled glyphs. These glyphs are the reason I chose not to use the modern variant of the font. In the image above, you can see the complex "g" in the "book" variant and the "v" and "y" in the "italic" version.

The increased x-height of Mr Eves XL Sans opens up opportunities such as headlines of third order in the same font size as paragraphs.


The last two seminar sessions dealt with formalities, such as structure, and tried to provide answers on how to write easy-to-read text. We also had an in depth look at good layout and typography.